Monday, February 21, 2011

Scene Render Update

So, Max was giving me quite a few technical difficulties, things which either had no fix besides restarting the program or things that were so basic there were no Google results up front for an easy fix.

At that point I decided to port everything over to Maya for good.  While I want to learn Max, doing so in a grade- and deadline-based environment is not the place to do so and has been a major inhibition with my work flow and efficiency.

I slapped together the remainder of my scene in a few hours.  I prettied up the shadows and scattered some foliage around my desert scene.  I still have to make the water ripple during the camera fly-through but besides that, my scene is almost complete.

After showing my render to Aby, she suggested having more of a sunset effect with the sun.  I did try this, however the angle of the cast shadows reduced the visual appeal.  I decided to keep it with more of an afternoon time setting despite the sky box being orange as during sunset.

Below is frame 41 of 362 of my fly-through.  It shows a good portion of the main area and its details.


Edit: Here's the full video.  I had some trouble putting it together due to software incompatibilities.


Here's my character concept:


3 comments:

Ryan Ellis said...

I really like your sky texture. The orange sky really gives kind of a spaghetti western feeling. The desert looks and feels dry, so the oasis is a really nice touch.

I like how we both did desert oasis', but the feeling of them were completely different.

Your trees and cacti both look pretty awesome.

Luke Mueller said...

I like just about everything with your scene, its not eye jarring or anything, the little pond with the foliage works well and I like that you show all your LoDs. Personally I think your dunes are a little too sharp, they don't feel like sand to me because of how sharp the curves are in them, but that's my only critique.

The_Viking said...

I love the way you have your sand set up, and your bushes are very creative reusing the palm fronds was genius.